Monday 2 March 2009

Focus at the NEC

Last week I visited "Focus on Imaging" at the NEC. This is the industries major exhibition of the year, and all the major players were out in force.

Whilst there I decided that as only the best is good enough that I'll be using Queensberry albums for all weddings that I shoot from now on. They are based in New Zealand and widely regaded as the best - the quality is out of this world, and given the cost of even a modest wedding these days it seems a shame to display the photographs in anything but the best album.

I also attended David Oliver's seminars on wedding photography. He's a hugely successful Australian photographer, and it's interesting to see how everybody has different opinions on everything. Until recently he shot everything on a small Leica (with FILM!) and has only just been converted to digital via the low light capability of the Nikon X3. I make a point of attending these type of seminars on a regular basis, as you're never too old to learn something new, and if you only take one new thing away with you it's been worthwhile.

I've been to Bromyard Equestrian Centre this week for another showjumping event, and was very impressed wtht the facilities there. I started equestrian photography last summer, and there's more to it than meets the eye. The competitors want certain shots with the horse in certain positions depending on the event. I sold twice as many dressage photos once I'd learnt the 2 or 3 "poses" that were popular with riders and owners, and this type shot goes down particularly well with showjumpers:


I'll be at Rodbaston College Unaffiliated Showjumping on 22nd March.

And finally, a thought for the week: Why is it that the people of Dubai don't appreciate The Flintstones, but the people of Abu Dhabi do?













No comments:

Post a Comment